Saturday, February 18, 2012

And Remember: Special time is for grown- ups, too.

Wow. It's been a while since my last post. I must have been pretty busy over the last six weeks...

The reason that I named this blog "Patchwork PhD" is because my career is patched together from a bunch of different things that I really like doing. I’m an instructor at one place, a supervisor and administrator at another place, a clinician in private practice, and a consulting psychologist for Family court. Add in all of that, plus the community work, the professional service, and the mommy-hood and sometimes I don’t have time to think, let alone blog!

One reason I wear so many hats is because I like to take opportunities as they come to me. I like to be busy, and I love to feel helpful… And here’s the problem.

If you say yes all the time, it starts to get harder to do good work in all the things you commit to. Then things start to slide: Sleep, exercise, and healthy eating are usually the first to go with me… With many of the families that I work with, I see similar things. And all that stress starts to take its toll on getting along and being together.

So, today’s challenge is to all those working parents… that’s right, dad’s, too. (For the record, I don’t think dad’s can babysit their own kids despite what the Census Bureau says. That is a topic for a different blog. Click here for one dad’s view of the ridiculous of the whole thing. I digress.)

What has started to slide in your life? Is it time to reprioritize something? You can’t wait for time to create itself for special time with the kids, or fitness, or date night with the spouse. You have to MAKE time. Schedule something for this week that you have been putting off. I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment