Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Back to School Part I: We all have a job to do.

Whew. I haven't blogged in a while. Must mean I haven't had anything to say, huh? Wrong! I've been busy. But today. I woke up 2.5 hours earlier to wake my now- Freshman for school. Back to school time. Back on schedule.

One of the things that I do with my time is to consult with teachers at Head Start. Basically, if there is a kiddo with challenging behaviors, I go into the classroom and help them come up with strategies to work with the kiddo better. What I have noticed over the last few years is that behaviors are getting more challenging. Plus, more kids are coming into the Head Start with challenging behaviors.

I actually have this conversation all the time: why does this new generation of kids seem so angry and aggressive? There are lots of ideas, because there is no single cause. Failing economy, poor access, time management, parents with an inability to manage their own emotions... the list goes on. But what I deal with the most, because of what I do, is adults who aren't sure how to teach kids how to manage their anger (sadnes, fear). Who can't say: "all feelings are ok" because no one has the time to go through the steps of feeling better. Many teachers and parents just don't have time for the conflict or the tears. But just as importantly, no one wants to feel uncomfortable. We want to protect the kids and protect ourselves.

But I'm here to tell you that feelings are not the enemy. They give you information about what's ahead or what's behind you. You can use the information to help lead you to your next choice. It's what you do with feelings that can be the problem. So many children are coming into schools with no sense of how to cope with uncomfortable feelings. And teachers are certainly struggling with how to help kids learn social and emotional bits along with math and language bits. As they should. They can't do it all alone anymore than most families could.

The solution: we have to work together. It's crazy I know. So, no more of this: "he's your problem when he's at school attitude, this year, okay?"

Challenge for you! Meet each of your child's teachers and know them by name by the end of the month. Yep, even your highschoolers. Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment