Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Apparently, being unhealthy takes less time!

It's not a secret that I work at becoming healthier sometimes. Profound, huh? I think MOST of us work at becoming healthier, sometimes!

Well, I was sitting here. Just now, wondering why there are times when it doesn't seem like such a struggle to eat right, exercise, take care of myself. I thought, "My life just isn't set up for this stuff right now." Aha!!! There it is. The dismissive thought. If my lifestyle isn't set up well, then that means I don't have to worry about it, right? I'm free to eat that whole pizza and take the elevator up one flight, right?

WRONG!

I encounter this often with families, too. I recommend that they have "Special time" with their kids, or coach them through frustrating problem solving, or take some time for themselves. And they tell me, "I just can't right now."

I get: "I just can't find the time."

You know why? Because the time isn't there. It's not just sitting on the sidelines waving its hands for you to snatch it up. You have to MAKE the time.

So, for today: What are the values/ goals in your life that you aren't acting AGAINST because the time isn't readily available? Now, how are you going to make one small change and stick to it for the whole week?

Consider:
Dinner with the family at least twice.
Walk around the block
Take the stairs
Have lunch with an old friend
Call your spouse on the phone in the middle of the day
Special time for 5 minutes with each child
Pack your gym bag and leave it in the car
Take your lunch (money saver!)
Call your parents and say I love you
Send a thank you note
Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment